Saturday, November 25, 2017

Reminders of the futility of worrying - Poems by Mary Oliver

Here are two more poems from Devotions by Mary Oliver, that remind me of the futility and uselessness of worrying.








This first one I had read before. It reminds me of God's response to Job.
I Go Down to the Shore
I go down to the shore in the morning
and depending on the hour the waves
are rolling in or moving out,
and I say, oh, I am miserable,
what shall--
what should I do? And the sea says
in its lovely voice:
Excuse me, I have work to do.
This one makes me smile.
I Worried
I worried a lot. Will the garden grow, will the rivers
flow in the right direction, will the earth turn
as it was taught, and if not, how shall
I correct it?
Was I right, was I wrong, will I be forgiven,
can I do better?
Will I ever be able to sing, even the sparrows
can do it and I am, well,
hopeless.
Is my eyesight fading or am I just imagining it,
am I going to get rheumatism,
lockjaw, dementia?
Finally I saw that worrying had come to nothing.
And gave it up. And took my old body
and went out into the morning,
and sang.
I'm thinking I'll take my old body and sing "Let All Things Now Living."


1 comment:

مؤسسة سما المثالية0535609607 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.