Saturday, November 25, 2017

Dogs - Poems by Mary Oliver

These are two sweet poems about dogs. I am reading Devotions by Mary Oliver. My friends and family who love dogs will like these, I think. And I do, too.






Little Dog's Rhapsody in the Night (Percy Three)
He puts his cheek against mine
and makes small, expressive sounds.
And when I am awake, or awake enough
he turns upside down, his four paws
    in the air
and his eyes dark and fervent.
Tell me you love me, he says.
Tell me again.
Could there be a sweeter arrangement? Over and over
he gets to ask it.
I get to tell.

Percy (Nine)
Your friend is coming I say
to Percy, and name a name
and he comes to the door, his
wide mouth in its laugh shape,
and waves, since he has one, his tail.
But there are days I wish
there was less in my head to examine,
not to speak of the busy heart. How
would it be to be Percy, I wonder, not
thinking, not weighing anything, just running forward.

No comments: