Monday, April 06, 2009

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

My other bookclub chose the book Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. I had sometimes wondered what kind of writer Salman Rushdie is. I imagined something much more political and strident. His writing is very enjoyable and good and easy to read. However, I did not finish this book.

There were a couple reasons. One was I am a little tired of India. India's popular right now. I've read several books and seen movies about India, fashions are even being influence a lot by India right now. I didn't feel like reading yet another book about India.

The other reason was I got impatient. The writer is telling the story not just to the readers but also to his relative or maybe she's a nanny of some kind or something. Anyway, he sort of writes cyclically, saying something, remarking how it will matter later, circling back to an earlier time, going forward. It was just annoying me.

At our book club meeting discussing this book, some others expressed my same feelings. Others, though, said that if you kept reading, past "Book 1", he stops writing that way and they enjoyed it much more.

I'm not feeling like continuing to read to find out. But there you are. I'm sure they're right.

No comments: