Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Good Earth

I read The Good Earth years ago. I don't think I read it as an assignment, just on my own. But I could be wrong. Anyway, I know I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it now again. It, too, is very much a "be there" book. It's fascinating to live in the world of China.

I sometimes think of some scenes in this book when I see scenes on t.v. with hundreds of people -- such as the scenes in Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan when masses of people are at a temple or on a pilgrimage or at a funeral. I remember the times in The Good Earth when the characters were in that kind of a situation, just a small family in the midst of hundreds and hundreds of others. It makes me remember that each of those persons is living a life as important as mine. They're loving their family members and friends as much as I do. They're caring about what happens to themselves and those they care about as much as I do. So often when you hear about things far away with unknown people, it's hard to remember that.

The Good Earth also is interesting as a story of a woman who is such a strong character in spite of being looked upon as a simple, ugly peasant. Her unbound feet make her even more ugly in others' eyes. Yet she is the center of that family. After she dies, things go downhill.

It's another one that is just a really good story, moving along at a good pace.

1 comment:

Janette Kok said...

In The Good Earth, the family is happiest when they have to work to get by. Not in the starvation years, but in the years where they work hard and get a good harvest and feel secure with enough food and warm clothes. But when they get rich, then the decadance sets in. It also makes you think, when you realize those sons probably and any grandchildren certianly would have had to live through the Cultural Revolution. I wonder what would have become of them.