Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The first meeting

Well, our first meeting happened this weekend and it was terrific! I should have taken some notes to remember some of the things we discussed. Next time.

The discussion just flowed. I started out by talking about logistics type things, such as did we want to meet on Saturday nights, was the time a good time, planning on once a month, deciding the next date at each meeting, and the "agenda" of prayer, then discussing the book, then dessert & coffee which would be the signal to talk about our next book and vote. After that "business" I said, "So, what did you think of the book?" And that was all it took. We talked and talked.

A couple people remarked that The Last Battle was their least favorite of the series, that they thought it seemed a little didactic or that Lewis was trying to tie everything together in a not so good way. I was kind of surprised at first because I think it's such a good book. I could see their points, though, as we talked. I guess it's just that there are some passages that are so very meaningful to me, even though what they say may be true.

I had made a bunch of food but no one wanted it! I had said I'd have snacks so everyone ate right before they came. Oops. Not a problem, though, we just had some leftovers. And people did have the dessert and coffee.

We decided to read A Prayer for Owen Meany as our next book. I read that some years ago with my other book club and we all enjoyed it. I don't see it in my library, though, so I'll have to buy it. It was tough to decide. People had lots of good choices.

So, I'll write more when I get started.

1 comment:

Janette Kok said...

Sounds good, Mave. Last Battle is not my favorite, either. My fave is The Horse and His Boy because at the end the main characters don't have to leave Narnia and go back to boarding school.

Good choice for second book. Funny that the same person, John Irving, wrote The World According to Garp, which I loathed, and A Prayer for Owen Meaney, which I liked very much. I disliked Garp so much I would never have read Owen Meaney if a good friend had not recommended it.