Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Quiet American by Graham Greene

I didn't think I was going to like this book. I thought it might be old fashioned or boring or something but it turned out I did like it.

The book is set in Vietnam, in the 1950's, I believe, when the French were fighting there. The main characters are a British reporter, Fowler, and an American man, Pyle.

There's a sort of love story/love triangle but it's probably not fair to call it love. Fowler is living with a Vietnamese woman named Phuong and Pyle falls in love with her. Phuong wants to marry a man who will take her out of Vietnam. Once she feels that won't happen with Fowler, she goes with Pyle. That's why it might not really qualify as love.

1 comment:

Janette Kok said...

There's also a good movie adaptation of this, Mave, with Michael Caine as the English journalist and Brendan Fraser as the quiet American.