Thursday, April 17, 2008

How could I have forgotten? (spoiler)

Wow, how could I have forgotten? Owen cuts John's finger off!! I barely even remembered that Owen died so I guess it's not that astonishing. But what a detail to forget.

Anyway, I'm still very much enjoying the book. I'm curious how this thing with Owen's dream is going to turn out. Owen just said that John is in the dream. At first I thought that maybe Owen would die in Arizona, but it doesn't look like it. No palm trees, as Owen says.

It's interesting to read what John says about the Viet Nam war and compare that to the Iraq war now. I know some people don't want to draw those parallels but it's pretty hard not to.

At one point Owen says that without the draft no one would care about the Viet Nam war. But here we are without a draft and people do care. But it's true there aren't a bunch of young people leading protests the way they were in the sixties.

No comments: